Saturday, September 6, 2008

Beauty

I sat in the forest looking at the trees around me. The aspen leaves fluttered in the wind, while the flies buzzed playfully around me. The sky looked a stunning shade of blue: like the ocean on a calm day. I gazed at the beautiful surroundings trying to take in every nuance of the trees, grass and sky. I slowly closed my eyes, meditating. The wind swept gently through my hair and carressed my skin. As I sat in peace, an abrupt noise startled me. My eyes flew open. My head jerked towards the sound of the noise. Only to see a fawn bounding through the trees only five feet away from me. I sat, stunned. Never had a wild animal come so close to me. My mind raced as I tried to comprehend that fact. As I came to my senses, my heart stopped racing and my awed gaze followed the fawn until it dissapeared out of sight.
As I sat in the forest after that, I noticed many of the other little creatures. Ants, flies, birds, squirrels. All so stunningly beautiful and perfect in their own setting. I thought of how I often times look over the little details and miss the beauty of the moment. It was just a little reminder to cherish the good times in life; to look for the beauty when life screams insanity at me from every side.

No comments: