Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Shifting Schedule

Today I went to the academic counselor to talk about officially changing my major from English Education to the composite major of English Education/ Creative Writing.  I've been planning on doing this for quite some time.  As soon as I heard that the composite major would be offered I jumped right on that wagon.  I had some concerns about changing catalogs, because when I started at SUU it didn't exist yet.  I like to plan my future.  I mean, this isn't weird in and of itself.  Lots of people go to get counseling about their academic careers, right?

The weird thing is I have spent hours upon hours pondering my schedule for the next 2 1/2 years.  I should be graduating after the Fall semester of 2013 if all goes according to plan.  (Woohoo!)  Anyway, I have a color coated schedule that I organized that tells me what classes I will be taking what semester so that I can graduate by then.  I created the original schedule about 1 1/2 years ago, but it has undergone many revisions.  I just can't go with the flow.  I have to know what I am taking when!  I didn't need any prompting at all to create this schedule.  I just did it.

My problem is that as soon as I decide on this schedule, some loophole is thrown in my path.  Usually it is a schedule conflict.  I love SUU and all, but at times it drive me crazy.  Because of the small size of the school, classes (except for the GE classes) are only offered one time; if you can't do it that one time, well then, no class for you!  Of course, there are also tons of great benefits of having such a small university.  But when it comes to my organizational ways being disrupted, I forget all of those benefits and just want to pull my hair out.

Another problem that disrupts my planning is that I just want to do too much.  If I could I would go to school for forever and just keep learning and learning and learning.  I want to do more than just the basics while in school.  I want to get the best experience possible.  This results in my schedule being full and sometimes overflowing.  I haven't had a semester with less than 17 credits.  Am I crazy for that?  Maybe.  But I'm okay with that.  I love being busy.

Anyway, I pray that the schedule I have now will not be disrupted again.  My brain can only handle so much change when it comes to my school schedule.  I am also planning on making an effort to keep my extra curricular activities to a manageable level so I don't fall over and die of exhaustion while working on school.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

You're not crazy. I did the same thing in college. I tried to plan and make sure I'd graduate when I wanted to an took 18 credit hours a semester. And now that I'm graduated, I wish I had taken more classes and done more.